You've heard it before and you'll hear again. What you eat can affect your blood pressure. Now there's an additional study to support this claim. Researchers at Tulane University analyzed data on almost 1,500 adults in more than two studies dozen and found that eating between about seven grams to 19 grams if fiber a day led to a reduction in systolic and diastolic (the numbers above and below, respectively, a blood pressure reading). '' We conducted a comprehensive analysis of data from 25 clinical trials and all the data indicated a strong conclusion fiber-adding to a person's diet has a health effect on their blood pressure lead author and medical student Seamus Shelton said ln a prepared statement.
Actually, nutritional guidelines recommend more fiber than what was indicated in the Tulane University study. Recommended is 20 grams to 35 grams of fiber per day.
Watch how much fiber you eat. Start by reading food labels. Then eat a variety of foods rich in fiber, such as: *
whole grain breads and cereals. Six servings a day give you about 12 grams of fiber. They include wheat and oat bran cereals, whole-wheat muffins or toast, and corn tortillas with the meal.
* Fruits. Two servings a day give you at least four grams of fiber. Apples, oranges, strawberries, pears and bananas are good sources. (Note: Fruit juice is bow in fibers) * Vegetables
. Three servings a day give you at least six grams of fiber cf. Add asparagus, carrots, broccoli peas and corn meal.
* legumes. One serving a day in place of meat gives you at least four grams of fiber. Try navy beans, lentils and chickpeas.
* seeds. A small handful of seeds gives you about three grams of fiber. Try sun flower seeds. So
Foods that are naturally low fat
Some other than those labeled 'low fat "foods" are naturally low in fat, and can be even more satisfying than low-fat offerings. Moses Taylor Hospital lists these low-fat treats: * Pretzels
: One ounce has only one-tenth of an ounce of fat as potato chips.
* Buttermilk: One cup of buttermilk has less fat than a cup of milk 1 fat percentage.
* Pancakes: A pancake has about the same amount of calories as a slice of bread. This is what top it with that makes a difference. Try low-fat yogurt or jam.
* Bagels: There is a gram of fat per bagel, which contains the same calories as two slices of bread.
* Potatoes: A white medium sweet potato has about 30 calories and a tenth of a gram of fat.
Category: Healthcare Basics